This award was established by Manuchair Ebadi, ’60, Ph.D., in 1998 to honor Delta W. Gier, Ph.D., former chair of the Department of Chemistry who served Park from 1948 to 1990. The award pays tribute to a faculty member who shows evidence of commitment to high standards of excellence in the area of scholarship: teaching, discovery, integration and/or service. The recipient also shows effective and innovative connections between teaching and research, especially by undergraduate student involvement and participation. The award recipient receives a plaque and monetary gift. In addition, an inscribed name plate will be placed on the Distinguished Faculty Scholar Award wall plaque, located in Mackay Hall, as permanent recognition of the faculty member and the honor.